SMPlayer 18.2.2 has been released. Install SMPlayer media player for Linux Ubuntu Systems. SMPlayer music player comes with with built-in codecs that can play virtually all video and audio formats. It can also play Youtube videos, search and download subtitles, and includes other features like a thumbnail generator and audio and video filters.
One of the most interesting features of SMPlayer: it remembers the settings of all files you play. SMPlayer supports the most known formats and codecs: avi, mp4, mkv, mpeg, mov, divx, h.264… you can play all of them, thanks to its built-in codecs. You don’t need to find and install third party codecs
SMPlayer is a graphical user interface (GUI) for the award-winning MPlayer, which is capable of playing almost all known video and audio formats.
- The option Open -> URL can now also load YouTube playlists.
- New option in Preferences -> Subtitles to select the opacity of the background of the subtitles (available when the ‘border style’ is set to ‘opaque box’).
- The options for the preferred number of track for audio and subtitles are back.
- (mpv) Now the direct3d is the default video output for Windows, since some users reported problems with the gpu output.
- Now it’s possible to use a priority list of preferred languages for the audio and subtitles.
- Now there’s support for YouTube playlists. In the playlist window, click in the Load/save icon, select Load playlist from URL and paste the URL of the YouTube playlist.
- Fix for YouTube.
- Run the following commands in Terminal to install SMPlayer media player for Linux Ubuntu Systems:
- sudo add-apt-repository ppa:rvm/smplayer
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get install smplayer smtube smplayer-themes
Once installed, open SMPlayer from Ubuntu Dash.